Avoid These Common Mistakes After a Car Accident
There is no doubt that being involved in a car accident is a traumatic event. No matter how stressed out or anxious you are, there are mistakes you should avoid. Being careful to take the right steps after an accident helps to ensure that your rights are protected. Listed below are the most common mistakes that people make following a crash.
1. Losing their cool. Take a moment following a crash to compose yourself. You should conduct any conversation after the accident like a business meeting. Do your best to keep your wits about you and avoid getting into a verbal altercation.
2. Ignoring evidence. Take as many photos of the scene as you can. You can never have too much evidence. This will be important should you be forced to go to court to protect your rights.
3. Declining medical care. You may not have been injured in the crash. Then again…you may have been. Do not decline medical care. You never know how you are going to feel tomorrow or even a next week.
4. Not notifying the insurance company. Do not neglect to contact your insurance company. You will need to do this within 24 hours of the accident. Contact them to report the accident whether you have information to provide them or not.
5. Accepting a settlement. Do not accept a settlement without first taking it into careful consideration. The first settlement may not be the best one that the insurance company will offer. If you believe that you are being lowballed, do not accept anything until you speak with an attorney.
6. Not securing an attorney. You think you don’t need an attorney but you could be wrong. Even a consultation with a legal expert can help you determine if you should be seeking more compensation than you are being offered.
The aftermath of a car accident can be loud and confusing. The way you conduct yourself could mean the difference between receiving nothing and receiving everything you deserve. If you have been involved in a car accident in Austin, reach out to our team for a free consultation today.