News: Dog dead, 2 people injured after BBQ ashes spark house fire

AUSTIN, TX – A dog was killed, and two people were taken to the hospital after barbecue ashes sparked a home fire on Arikara River Drive early this morning, according to the Austin Fire Department.

The incident happened at 10707 Arikara River Drive at about 1 a.m., after improperly discarded ashes from a barbecue caused a two-story home to catch fire.

The two residents barely escaped the blaze and were forced to jump from the second-story window. They were taken to the hospital with smoke inhalation injuries and released a few hours later.

A dog is presumed to have died in the incident and is thought to have been lost in the wreckage.

The home collapsed as a result of the fire, which caused over $500,000 worth of damage.

The home reportedly did not have functioning smoke alarms.

AFD reminded homeowners to keep working fire alarms in the home, as they are often life-saving devices.

The Loewy Law Office is prepared to help those who have been injured in accidents in the Austin area. Contact our office today at 512-280-0800 to speak to a skilled Austin personal injury attorney. Your first consultation is absolutely free.