The Scary Statistics of Texting and Driving
What does DWI mean to you? If you are like most people, you immediately think “driving while intoxicated,” and you would be correct. In today’s technological age, DWI has taken on a new meaning: “Driving While Intexticated.” It may be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but its message is clear. Driving while texting can be as dangerous as driving under the influence.
Here are some quick facts:
1. 5 Seconds: Texting takes your eyes off of the road for about five seconds, on average. At 55 mph, you can cross the length of a football field in that time.
2. 1.3 Million: In 2011, 23 percent of vehicle collisions involved cell phones in some way. That equals 1.3 million wrecks.
3. 23 Times: You are 23 times as likely to end up in a collision if you are texting behind the wheel. Dialing your phone puts you at a 2.8 times higher risk and talking on the phone, 1.3 times higher. Reaching for your phone? You are 1.4 times more likely to get into a crash.
4. Teen Dangers: 34 percent of teens surveyed said they have texted behind the wheel. 52 percent said that they have talked on their cell phones while driving.
5. It’s All Good: 77 percent of teens and young adults believe that they can text and drive safely. 55 percent go a step further and say that it is easy to text and drive.
6. 1 in 5: This many drivers say they have spent time between the wheel surfing the web. Why? It’s safer than composing and sending a text, they only do it while stopped, and they hold the phone at eye level to increase visibility.
To try to curtail these dangerous habits, 10 states in the country prohibit the use of cell phones behind the wheel. 32 states make it illegal for new drivers to use their cell phones in the car, and 39 states make it illegal to text and drive. Oh…and all of these things pertain to D.C. as well.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Austin, call our office. A member of our team will provide you with a free case evaluation and advise you of your options. We are here for you and your family. Call now.