What to Do After a Car Accident in Austin
Car accidents – or any type of auto accident – can be frightening, chaotic experiences. When emotions run hot and especially when injuries occur, victims may forget important steps they can take to not only protect their own well-being, but also the future strength of their personal injury claim. As the actions individuals take in the immediate aftermath of a car accident are of such crucial importance, the Texas Department of Transportation has focused on educating drivers about things to remember after a car accident in Texas.
While situations will always vary, there are a few general measures motorists can take after they have been involved in any type of traffic collision. These include:
- Checking for injuries – If anyone is injured, make sure they are tended to and / or that emergency medical treatment is called.
- Move vehicles to the side of the road when it is safe to do so.
- Notify law enforcement officers if injuries occur, vehicles cannot be moved off the road, you suspect the other driver may be under the influence, the other driver has no insurance, or one of the drivers flees the scene of the accident.
- Collect important information from the other driver, including contact information, insurance information, license plate number, and drivers’ license information.
- Collect information from any witnesses who have seen the accident.
- NEVER admit fault or accept blame and never sign anything written by another motorist.
- Remember that you do not have to speak with insurance adjusters without an attorney.
These few steps, while simple, can make a large difference in ensuring that everyone involved in an accident is safe and that your future personal injury claim is not compromised. When you forget to collect insurance information, accept blame for an accident, or make other mistakes, it can negatively impact your claim and ability to recover full and fair compensation.
Regardless of what your particular accident involved and no matter what happened after the accident occurred, you can place your trust in an experienced Austin car accident lawyer from the Loewy Law Firm. Attorney Adam Loewy has recovered millions of dollars in compensation on behalf of injured clients and is prepared to personally guide you through the personal injury claim process. Learn more about your case and how we can help by contacting an Austin car accident attorney or requesting a free case evaluation today.