When people hear about a car accident they most likely visualize two vehicles colliding. However, many accidents in Austin each year involve only one car. People who are injured in a single-vehicle accident may still be entitled to compensation. The Austin single-vehicle accident lawyers at Loewy Law Firm have helped people in Austin receive compensation for injuries suffered in single-vehicle accidents.
Different Causes of Single-Vehicle Collisions
Individuals who were involved in a single vehicle accident are not always at fault. There are many situations where another person or entity is responsible for the accident. In this case, the accident victim has a right to file a claim for compensation.
The following are circumstances in which the driver may be at fault in a single-vehicle accident:
- Distracted driving: Talking or texting on a cell phone, drinking, eating, or talking to passengers may cause a driver to veer off the road or hit another vehicle.
- Drowsy driving: Falling asleep at the wheel can cause a driver to leave the roadway and crash.
- Excessive speed: A driver who speeds and causes a crash can be held responsible for the injuries and damages that result.
- Weather: Poor weather conditions like rain, ice, snow and fog can all contribute to a single-vehicle accident. Drivers are expected to be cautious while driving in adverse weather.
A driver may not be at fault if any of the following circumstances are present:
- Poor road conditions: In some cases, a governmental authority may be responsible for poor roadway design or defects in the road because of poor maintenance. Road conditions that may be to blame for car accidents include: confusing, damaged or missing signs; blind curves; potholes; overly bright lights or lack of nighttime lighting; missing road markings; and badly chosen road materials.
- Mechanical defect/failure: Faulty vehicle parts are not the driver’s responsibility if he or she did not know that there was a problem before they failed. If this is the case, the manufacturer or designer of the parts may be responsible for the harm that results from a product defect that causes injuries.
- Object in the road: Actions by another person could mean that a driver runs into an object that has fallen off of another vehicle. If something fell off a truck, for example, the truck driver could be held accountable for the damages.
Compensation for an Austin Single-Vehicle Accident
Many single-vehicle accidents are caused by something other than the driver of the car. Therefore, it is possible for people injured by these accidents to receive compensation for their injuries. The person or entity liable for these damages will depend on the cause of the accident
An experienced Austin car accident attorney can evaluate a case and recommend the best course of action. If you or a loved one has been injured in a single car auto accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your injuries, this compensation can include money for:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Retraining if you are unable to return to your old line of work
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages in cases involving negligence by defendants
Help from an Austin Single-Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a single-car accident and someone else was at fault, you could be entitled to compensation for any injuries you suffered. A personal injury lawyer at the Loewy Law Firm can explain how compensation for auto accidents works and ensure that victims of auto accidents receive the compensation they are entitled to.
At the Loewy Law Firm, we fight for the rights of car accident victims, and if you have been injured through no fault of your own we believe that you should not be forced to pay the price. Attorney Loewy is a proven trial attorney, with recognitions such as the Super Lawyers® rating and a lifetime membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, and he personally works on every case our firm represents. You will receive individual attention throughout the process of your claim, as we fight to help you recover the settlement you deserve.