Austin Aggressive Driving Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck drivers work on tight deadlines, so their chief concern is often making deliveries on time. And trucking companies sometimes pressure their drivers to exceed their allowed hours of service. While everyone wants their deliveries on time, that’s no reason to sacrifice safety.
When truck drivers work under such pressure, they’re more likely to drive dangerously, aggressively, or recklessly out of impatience. While such behavior may get them where they’re going faster, it can also cause devastating collisions. Other motorists injured by aggressive truck drivers have the right to demand fair compensation from the driver, their employer, and their insurance companies.
If you’ve been injured in an accident caused by an aggressive truck driver, you could be entitled to compensation for related medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and pain and suffering. At Loewy Law Firm, our team has the resources to build the strongest possible case and pursue a fair settlement on your behalf. Find out more from a compassionate Austin truck accident attorney by contacting us for a free, no-obligation consultation.
What Is Aggressive Driving?
Aggressive driving describes various types of reckless driving behaviors, including those exhibited by irresponsible truck drivers. The term aggressive driving can apply to speeding, tailgating, cutting off other vehicles, making unsafe lane changes, failing to use turn signals, failing to yield the right of way to oncoming traffic, and other unsafe driving behaviors. Truck drivers who engage in these behaviors can be held responsible for any accidents and injuries they cause.
Truck accidents are much more dangerous to other motorists than to truck drivers. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) found that truck accidents resulted in 4,119 traffic fatalities in 2019, and the majority of those fatalities—a staggering 67 percent—were other drivers and their passengers. Truckers who drive recklessly and aggressively increase the risk of an accident that could kill or seriously injure other motorists and their passengers.
Common Types of Aggressive Driving
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has outlined some of the common moving violations committed by commercial vehicle drivers, and many of them are types of aggressive driving.
Some of the most common types of aggressive truck driving include:
- Speeding – Due to their colossal size and weight, speeding trucks are potentially deadly to other motorists. Commercial trucks take longer to come to a complete stop than passenger vehicles, limiting their ability to react to hazards or traffic condition changes. Consequently, speeding increases the likelihood that a truck driver will lose control of their truck and cause a terrible accident.
- Tailgating – Tailgating occurs when a truck driver follows another driver too closely. Irresponsible truck drivers may tailgate in an effort to force the vehicle in front of them over, often while speeding. Truck drivers worried about making their deadlines may also tailgate out of impatience, putting the vehicle they are tailgating in danger. When truck drivers tailgate, they have much less time to react and adjust their speed in order to avoid a rear-end collision
- Unsafe lane changes – Sometimes, truckers cut off other vehicles when they’re in a hurry. They may fail to signal a turn or lane change or veer into an occupied lane to get around a slower-moving vehicle. When truck drivers fail to exercise proper caution and make unsafe lane changes, they can cause terrible accidents.
- Failing to yield the right of way – Impatient truck drivers sometimes ignore right-of-way laws to beat oncoming traffic through an intersection or across a roadway. This can cause devastating truck accidents.
- Failure to obey traffic signals – While speeding through a red light or a stop sign is always risky, it’s especially dangerous when truck drivers do it. Truck drivers must obey all traffic signals and road signage. The consequences of not doing so can be fatal to other motorists.
Common Injuries Caused by Aggressive Driving Truck Accidents
Truck drivers who engage in aggressive and reckless driving can cause devastating accidents that result in extensive vehicle damage and life-altering injuries. When this happens, injured victims may be entitled to financial compensation from the driver and other at-fault parties.
Some of the common injuries caused by truck accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal injuries such as ruptured organs
- Internal bleeding
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Soft-tissue damage
- Cuts, scrapes, and lacerations
Who Is Responsible?
It may seem straightforward that truck drivers should be liable for aggressive driving truck accidents, but it’s not always so simple. Truck drivers who engage in reckless driving are almost always held at least partially responsible for the crash. But trucking companies could also be held responsible for their employer’s actions, especially if an investigation finds that they pressured their drivers to speed or otherwise violate safety standards to make more deliveries and increase profits.
Determining liability in truck accidents can be challenging, so it’s crucial to consult with an experienced truck accident attorney in Austin right away.
Compensation for Aggressive Driving Truck Accidents
If you are the victim of a truck accident caused by an aggressive or reckless truck driver, you might be entitled to compensation for any financial losses caused by the accident. Compensation is designed to cover:
- Medical costs related to the accident
- Lost income if you were unable to work after the accident
- Vehicle damage and property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental trauma
- Emotional anguish
Punitive damages are infrequently awarded, but they could be deemed appropriate for crashes caused by an excessively reckless truck driver. Punitive damages aim to “punish” at-fault parties and discourage future wrongdoing.
Contact an Austin Truck Accident Lawyer Today
Truck accidents can be complex to investigate, but at Loewy Law Firm, we have the experience to make it seem easy. Our aggressive driving Austin truck accident lawyers are ready to investigate the crash that injured you, identify the at-fault parties, collect evidence that proves who was liable and why, and file claims for full and fair compensation on your behalf.
At Loewy Law Firm, we can take the legal burdens off your shoulders so that you can focus on your health and well-being. We’re ready to fight for your right to compensation in court. Contact our personal injury lawyers today for a free consultation!