When Should I Get an Attorney for a Car Accident?
Car accidents can be tricky. Usually, if you are not injured and the accident is a minor fender-bender, it can be handled through the insurance companies without the need for legal intervention.
Sometimes, however, apparently innocuous situations can escalate quickly, so seeking legal advice should occur sooner rather than later. It is never a bad idea to see an accident attorney just to seek advice and make sure you are protected from litigation.
The following represent situations where it is imperative that you contact an attorney to protect your rights:
- Serious injury or death has occurred as a result of the accident
- Involvement of other vehicles or pedestrians
- The police report does not accurately describe the incident
- You have no insurance
- Fault for the accident is shared or unclear
- Your insurance company becomes uncooperative
- You are unsure or unclear about the terms of your insurance policy
- You have been contacted by an attorney representing the insurance company or another party affiliated with the accident
Never rule out the need to seek appropriate counsel, even for what you may think is a non-issue. It is always best to protect yourself.