Austin Wrongful Death Lawyer
Wrongful death cases are usually complex, which is why our Austin wrongful death attorney employs intense preparation, detailed strategy and aggressive advocacy to provide clients with the very best chance for a successful outcome. Loewy Law Firm works on a contingency fee basis and won’t expect a dime of payment unless we are successful in obtaining compensation for you. This is an emotional, confusing, and difficult time, but the people responsible for taking your loved one must be held accountable.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim or Suit in Texas?
Wrongful death claims are usually filed by spouses or immediate family members. Some situations allow life partners, financial dependents, and putative spouse to file wrongful death claims as well. Children and spouses have the right to recover compensation in all fifty states; domestic partners, life partners, and dependents can recover compensation some states.
In Texas, common law spouses are allowed to file wrongful death claims and lawsuits. In addition to biological children, adopted children are granted the right to file wrongful death claims. The term “adopted” only refers to children who were formally adopted by their non-biological parents. Biological children of unmarried parents and divorced parents may file this type of claim or lawsuit in Texas. However, Texas law does not allow siblings or same-sex spouses to file for wrongful death. Contact an Austin wrongful death attorney at the Loewy Law Firm today to learn more about your options through a wrongful death claim.
Causes of Wrongful Death
When a loved one is killed because of the actions or negligence of another person, the family may be entitled to compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit. These terrible losses result from preventable accidents, and the victims’ families deserve justice. Many innocent, beloved lives are lost as a result of careless behavior, and a personal injury lawyer may be able to help you file a claim if a family member was killed in these types of situations:
- Car and Motorcycle Accidents: Drunk drivers steal thousands of futures every year, and distracted drivers that text or fail to pay attention to the road are a serious threat to the safety of other motorists.
- 18 Wheeler Accidents: Negligent drivers and trucking companies that do not follow safety regulations cause extreme injuries and fatalities.
- Drowning Accidents: Hundreds of Texans suffer from drowning each year in boating accidents and swimming parks when drivers and employees neglect the safety of passengers and swimmers.
- Dog Bite Accidents: Dog attacks can cause terrible injuries and even death when owners neglect to be responsible for their pets, and in the majority of cases, children are the victims.
- Choking Accidents: Children can choke to death when manufacturers sell faulty products that easily break into small pieces, and when caregivers are not cautious to protect little ones from choking hazards.
- Slipping and Falling Accidents: When property owners do not ensure the safety of the staff and visitors, serious falls can occur that end in brain trauma and fatality.
- Bicyclist and Pedestrian Accidents: Irresponsible car and truck drivers who do not pay attention to the road often hit bicyclists and pedestrians, and cause broken bones, neck and back injury, or death.
- Police Brutality Incidents: Law enforcement officers can cause severe harm and even death when they cross the line of duty and use excessive force to detain suspects.
Contact an Austin Wrongful Death Attorney
Loewy Law Firm is passionate about helping families pick up the pieces of their lives after tragic events, especially those who are the victims of wrongful death. Our team is proficient in personal injury law, and the knowledge of our lead wrongful death attorney, Mr. Loewy, has been sought out by such mainstream media outlets as CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, CNBC, and The Wall Street Journal, among others. We have won high-profile settlements for wrongful death clients and may be able to do the same for you. Our team can give you the support you need and a powerful voice; please do not hesitate to call us.