Austin Car Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in an Austin car accident caused by another driver? You may face medical bills, vehicle repair costs, and a long recovery process. Whether you were involved in a single-vehicle crash, a multi-vehicle pile-up, or a pedestrian accident, an experienced lawyer can help you navigate the complexities of the legal system. They can also pursue the financial compensation you need to move forward.
At Loewy Law Firm, we have extensive experience representing car accident clients in Austin and throughout Texas. Our team of personal injury lawyers will work hard for the best possible result for your case. Contact us today to learn more through a free legal consultation.
How an Austin Car Accident Attorney Can Help
If you were in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, turn to an experienced car crash attorney with the knowledge and skill to navigate the legal complexities of a car accident case. A lawyer can help you understand your rights, the claims process, and possible courses of action for seeking compensation. They will also handle negotiations on your behalf, ensuring that any settlements are fair and just.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Austin
Car accidents are an unfortunate reality for many drivers. In Austin, upwards of 12,000 car accidents occur yearly, often resulting in serious injuries or even death. The most common causes of car accidents in Austin include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving can refer to any activity that takes a driver’s attention away from the road, including texting, talking on the phone, eating, applying makeup, talking to passengers, or adjusting the radio.
- Intoxicated driving: Drunk driving is a serious problem across the country and can lead to fatal accidents. If someone is over the legal blood alcohol limit, they should never get behind the wheel. Driving under the influence of drugs is also a significant source of crashes.
- Speeding: Excessive speed increases the chances of a speeding accident and can make a crash more severe. Drivers must follow speed limits and adjust their speed based on conditions like rain or snow.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving is any behavior where a driver disregards the safety of other drivers. Examples include tailgating, unsafe passing, running red lights, and weaving in and out of traffic.
- Weather conditions: Bad weather, including rain, snow, and fog, can reduce visibility, making it hard to see potential hazards on the road and increasing the risk of an accident.
- Mechanical failure: Mechanical failure and lack of proper maintenance can cause a vehicle to malfunction and become unable to operate safely.
Austin Car Accident Statistics
With an ever-growing population, the streets of Austin are increasingly busy. Unfortunately, this has led to a recent spike in traffic fatalities in the city. According to the City of Austin’s Vision Zero Task Force, fatal accidents in Austin are trending upward. In a recent year, the city’s traffic fatality record was 112 fatal accidents that resulted in 120 deaths. Distracted driving is one of the biggest culprits of Austin crashes. Overall, there were 4,378 total accidents in Travis County in the same recent year.
Despite the city’s efforts, Austin still has some of the most dangerous intersections in Texas. The top five most dangerous intersections in Austin are:
- West Slaughter Lane and Manchaca Road (South Austin)
- Lamar Boulevard and Rundberg Lane (North Austin)
- Lamar Boulevard and Parmer Lane (North Austin)
- U.S. 183 Service Road and Cameron Road (Northeast Austin)
- I-35 Southbound Service Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard (near Downtown).
What To Do After A Car Accident In Austin
It’s essential to take the proper steps after a car accident. This will ensure that you receive the necessary medical treatment, preserve significant evidence for your claim, and maximize the potential for a successful recovery.
Steps to take after a car accident in Austin include:
- Seek medical attention: After being injured in a car accident, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if your injuries do not appear serious, it is still essential to be evaluated by a medical professional. This documents your injuries for purposes of seeking compensation.
- Exchange information: Exchange details with the other driver involved in the accident, including name, address, phone number, insurance company, and policy number. Make sure to get the contact information for any witnesses who may have seen the accident.
- Take photos: If you can, take photos of your injuries, the accident scene, damage to the vehicles involved, and any road conditions that may have contributed to the accident.
- File a police report: Contact law enforcement and file a police report immediately after an accident. You can use the police report as evidence in an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
- Contact your insurance company: Notify your insurance company of the accident and provide them with all relevant information.
- Speak to an attorney: Consider speaking to an experienced car accident attorney in Austin who can review your case and explain your legal options.
Common Injuries in Austin Car Accidents
Unfortunately, even at low speeds, car crashes can cause devastating injuries. Some of the most common injuries that occur in Austin car accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): Traumatic brain injuries can range from mild concussions to severe brain damage. Symptoms may include headaches, confusion, memory loss, depression, loss of coordination, balance issues, or changes in personality or behavior.
- Neck and back injuries: Whiplash is the most common type of neck injury and occurs when the head whips violently back and forth. Lower back injuries like sprains and strains can also occur due to the force of impact during a car accident.
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries are more severe injuries that can occur when the vertebrae that make up the spinal column are damaged or dislocated due to the force of impact from a car accident. A spinal cord injury can be partial or complete. A complete spinal cord injury causes paralysis below the site of the damage.
- Broken bones: Depending on the severity of the crash, a person can have broken bones that range from simple fractures to more serious compound fractures
- Internal injuries: Internal injuries occur when vital organs such as the heart, lungs, or liver sustain damage during a car accident. Organ trauma can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention.
Statute of Limitations in Texas
When filing a lawsuit after a car accident, time is of the essence. The statute of limitations in Texas is two years from the date of the accident. This means that if you were injured in a car crash, you must file your lawsuit within two years of the date of the accident, or you may lose your right to sue. Therefore, it is essential to consult with an experienced Austin car accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident to ensure that all your legal rights and remedies are protected.
Modified Comparative Negligence in Texas
Texas follows a fault apportionment rule of modified comparative negligence. This law determines who is at fault in an accident and how much compensation each party may be entitled to. When a court determines liability, it can assign a percentage of fault to both parties.
Under this rule, if the percentage of fault assigned to the plaintiff meets or exceeds 51 percent, they won’t be entitled to any compensation. The plaintiff’s settlement may also decrease by the percentage they are at fault for the accident. For example, if a plaintiff is 40 percent responsible for a car accident, their damages award will be reduced by 40 percent. It is crucial for anyone involved in an accident to understand this law. It can significantly impact how much compensation they can pursue, if any.
Types of Compensation Available for an Austin Car Accident Injury
The costs of medical care, lost wages, and property damage after an Austin car accident can quickly become overwhelming. Fortunately, injured victims may be able to recover compensation from the at-fault party. The types of compensation available in an Austin car accident injury case include:
- Medical expenses: If you have suffered physical injuries due to the negligence of another driver, you may be eligible for compensation for past, current, and future medical expenses related to the accident. This may include doctor visits, hospital stays, physical therapy, medications, and any other necessary treatments.
- Lost wages: You may be able to recover lost wages if you had to take time off of work due to the accident or if your injuries left you unable to perform your job duties. You can also pursue recovery for loss of future earnings if you cannot return to the same job or salary level.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering damages compensate victims for their physical and emotional distress from the accident. It helps compensate victims for losses that are not easily quantifiable, such as pain and suffering or mental anguish.
- Loss of Consortium: If your injury has impacted your relationship with your spouse or significant other, you may also be able to recover compensation for their losses.
About the Loewy Law Firm
Since founding his law firm in May 2005, Attorney Adam Loewy has recovered millions of dollars for his clients. In 2020, Loewy secured $3.8 million in a drunk driving crash, $3 million in a truck crash, and $165,000 in a car crash. These are just a few of the numerous sizable victories Loewy has won over the last 15 years.
At Loewy Law Firm, we expect our clients to be fully compensated. We negotiate aggressively and strategically with the insurance companies involved until they offer a fair settlement. If they fail to offer the settlement you deserve, we won’t be afraid to file a lawsuit and take the case to court. We will also go to bat for you if it is necessary to sue the government in the case of being involved in an accident with an emergency vehicle.
Loewy is committed to providing clients with unparalleled customer service. He takes pride in being actively involved in every car accident case he handles and is always reachable by phone call or text. Loewy has been recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer in every year of his eligibility.
Loewy Law Firm has been dedicated to giving back to Austin. We invest in our community and are always looking for new ways to help. In 2020, the Austin Bar Association awarded Loewy the prestigious David H. Walter Community Excellence Award.
Speak With a Car Accident Lawyer in Austin
At Loewy Law Firm, our Austin car accident attorneys have extensive experience helping clients injured by another person’s negligence. Our lawyers understand the complexities of the legal system and are well-versed in Texas laws related to car accident claims. Contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about how we can help you.