Child Hurt in Bicycle Versus Car Accident
AUSTIN, Texas – A small child was sent to the hospital after being struck by a car. According to witnesses, the little girl was riding her bicycle along Mason Street when she collided with a woman driving a vehicle on Ledesma Street.
Residents tell reporters that this is not the first time such an accident has occurred. A child was killed in the same type of incident at the intersection just three years ago.
Reporters were told by witnesses that the driver in this accident did not appear to be speeding. The driver stopped and exited her vehicle to check on the child. At least one witness said that the woman “flew past the stop sign.”
The child, a female, is under the age of 10, but her name has not been released. She was immediately transported to Dell Childrens’ Medical Center with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening.
Sharing the Road
Now that the weather has finally settled down in Texas, drivers can expect to be sharing the road with a large number of pedestrians and cyclists. While sharing the road is everyone’s responsibility, drivers of vehicles need to be especially vigilant, especially when driving through residential neighborhoods.
Here are a few tips to follow to avoid accidents such as these:
- Keep your radio turned down to a reasonable level. The louder your music, the less likely you are to hear noises in the environment, including the sounds of children playing.
- Make eye contact. Never assume that a pedestrian or cyclist sees you if you have not made eye contact.
- Follow the rules of the road. Maintain the posted speed limit and obey all traffic signs. Remember that stop signs are not a suggestion, they are a law.
- Be wary near obstructions. Pay closer attention when you drive through construction zones, past piles of garbage on curb lawns, or any other objects that may block your vision.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. It is easy to become distracted when we drive, especially when we drive the same route daily. Stay aware of the things that are happening outside of your car at all times.
If you or someone you loved has been injured in a bicycle, car, or truck accident, you need a compassionate attorney on your side. We can fight for your rights and help you get the compensation you deserve. Call us today for immediate assistance.