Bicycle Accident Statistics & Victims’ Rights
By Texas law, bicycle riders have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of passenger vehicles. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, this means that bicyclists have the duty to ensure that they take reasonable measures to reduce the risk of causing preventable harm and to adhere to all traffic laws, including:
- Stopping at red lights and stop signs
- Staying within a lane and being aware of lane markers
- Riding near curbs and traveling in the same direction as vehicles
- Using lights at night and using proper signals for turns
Unfortunate as it may be, even bicyclists who obey the law and who ride with the utmost vigilance can fall victim to the negligence or wrongful acts of other drivers. Given the fact that bicyclists have little protecting them from outside trauma, collisions involving bicyclists often result in injuries. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 677 fatal bicycle accidents nationwide and more than 38,000 bicyclist injuries in 2011.
Although these statistics are alarming, they demonstrate just how vulnerable bicyclists are when sharing the roads with large motor vehicles. When bicycle accidents are caused by the negligence or wrongful act of another driver, injured riders have the right to pursue a recovery of their damages by filing a personal injury claim. Common causes of bicycle accidents in Austin may include:
- Aggressive driving
- Driver inattention, including distracted driving, texting while driving, or drivers being unaware of their surroundings
- Drivers failing to obey traffic laws, including failures to yield when turning right on red, stopping at red lights or stop signs, and other infractions
- Drunk driving accidents
Whatever the particular cause may be, injured bicycle riders and their families should work with an experienced Austin bicycle accident lawyer as they navigate the personal injury claim process. With the support and legal assistance you need, you will have a fighting chance for recovering the compensation you deserve. Learn more about your case, your eligibility to pursue a claim, and how an Austin personal injury lawyer from The Loewy Law Firm can help. Call (512) 861 – 0669 or request a case evaluation today.